Sunday, December 8, 2013

New Web site, Web presence

My latest attempt at a Web site is now online, and this blog has been updated as part of a pursuit to build a consistent Web presence.  Previous Web sites have suffered from neglect and ultimate abandonment.  This has been largely due to the fact that I've often looked to my Web site as a chance to experiment and refine some of my development work...and this led to there being enough overhead in working on the site that it wouldn't get done (even if that overhead was as simple as opening the project in an editor and uploading a new version).

The new site is built on top of Google Sites which removes that overhead.   The newly touted Google Apps Scripts could also be leveraged enough to provide the level of functionality that I may look to add, where previously I had worried about boxing myself in needlessly (and options like VosaoCMS weren't overly appealing for personal use).  The Google platform is being used because it's there, I'm already using it, and I have no reason to shift.

The development itself will be done in an incremental, ad-hoc fashion as demonstrated by the state at the time this is written (updates will be jammed into different places on the live site as part of other work in an attempt to stumble towards consistency, the present state is a representative crooked step).

There is also a greater reason for the new site as my spare development time is shifting to focus more on FOSS related projects, and therefore there should be more to share publicly (and greater time to do so without the administrivia related to doing contract style work). 

No comments :

Post a Comment